I love S’mores.
A lot. I have at least one every day…when I actually have all 3 components. (I’m usually lacking graham crackers.) When I worked at a summer camp, I had the opportunity to perfect my s’mores-making methods.
I love S’mores.
So, I made S’mores ice cream.
My husband loves custard. And, technically, this was a S’mores Frozen Custard.
I made S’mores Ice Cream.
I am in one of my Heavens.
(One of my other heavens is whiskey. I was there last night.)
I love having ambitious cravings. And I love it even more when they work out!
S’mores Ice Cream
1 qt half and half
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
2 oz 70% chocolate, chopped finely
4 oz 60% chocolate, chopped finely
8 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1 cup graham cracker crumbles
1 cup mini marshmallows
1. Add the cocoa powder to a large, sauce pot. Slowly add in enough half and half to make a paste. (This takes time and patience) Slowly, pour the rest of the half and half in and mix well with a whisk.
2. Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds out. Add the seeds and the bean to the chocolate mixture. Heat over medium-high heat until the mixture is scalding.
3. Remove from heat and remove the vanilla bean. Stir in the chocolates until it is completely mixed. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, whip the egg yolks and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Slowly pour in the chocolate mixture, tempering the eggs.
5. Return the mixture back to your pot and heat on low-medium heat, stirring constantly. The mixture will thicken and should coat the back of a spoon. This takes about 5 minutes. Do not cook over 8 minutes and do not cook on a higher heat or you eggs will cook!
6. Pour the batter into a bowl and cover. Allow to cool in the refrigerator overnight.
7. The mixture should be very thick like custard once cooled. Process in your ice cream maker according to instructions.
8. While the ice cream is churning, melt the marshmallows in the microwave for about 15 seconds.
9. When the ice cream is finished churning, add the graham crackers and marshmallow and fold into the ice cream.
10. Cover and let the ice cream freeze for a few hours before enjoying.